Kristina Lum, LMFT
Licensed Family & Marriage Therapist
- Licensed Family & Marriage Therapist , State of Hawai`i (License #: LMFT 359)
- Master's in Counseling Psychology with emphasis in Family and Marriage Counseling, 2006
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, with emphasis on child development
- Trainer for Quality Behavior Solutions Safety Care, 2017-present
- Trainer for Nonviolent Crisis Intervention and Applied Physical Training, 2016-2017
- Trainer for Maximizing the Effectiveness of Paraprofessionals, 2018
- Trained in Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
- Trained in SPARCS (Structured Psychotherapy for Adolescents Responding to Chronic Stress)
- Behavior Program Therapist – State of Hawaii Department of Education, Honolulu, HI
- Behavioral Health Specialist - State of Hawaii Department of Education, Honolulu, HI
- Case Manager/Therapist - Hale Kipa Inc. Foster Care Therapeutic Services, Honolulu, HI
- Volunteer Hospice of Hilo Grief Camp for Children
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT)
- Psi Chi (International psychology honors society)
- Experience with family dynamics-related challenges (including infertility, divorce, death and coping with serious medical conditions).
- Extensive experience with children and adolescents experiencing depression, anxiety, issues with self-esteem and peer relationships, ADHD, trauma, abuse, sexuality (including gender identity and sexual orientation) and emotional disturbance.
- Extensive experience in working with individuals and families of diverse ethnicities, socio-economic status, religion, and sexuality.
I believe in an integrated approach that meets the client where they are at. I do this through evidenced-based approaches, including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Solution Focused Therapy. I focus on helping clients discover their personal strengths through mindfulness, Positive Psychology and developing a greater awareness of one’s emotions, thoughts and physical symptoms so they can become the healer in their life. Above all, I seek to help individuals and families improve their relational dynamics as being connected on a deep human level adds to one’s overall health and well-being.
I was born in Washington State and moved to Hawaii when I was 10 years old. Growing up in two different cultures allowed me the opportunity to get to know a variety of people and the importance of understanding where one comes from. I have always enjoyed helping to improve the quality of life of others and nothing gives me more joy than witnessing someone’s personal growth and happiness. I love spending time with my family and dogs, doing Pilates, hiking and volunteering with variou sorganizations. I truly believe in what Mahatma Gandhi said - “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others."
< Back to Providers