Darren H. Iwamoto, Ed.D.
National Certified Counselor, Licensed Mental Health Counselor
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor , State of Hawai`i (License #: MHC 187)
- Nationally Certified Counselor (Certification #: 235773)
- Certified QPR Suicide Prevention Gatekeeper Instructor (since 3/1/2014)
- Doctor of Education, Capella University, 2013
- Master of Science in Counseling Psychology, Chaminade University of Honolulu, 1998
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, University of Hawai`i at Manoa, 1996
- 19+ years of social service experience
- 8+ years as a counselor educator
- Clinical Director, MSCP School Counseling Program, Chaminade University of Honolulu, Honolulu, HI
- Assistant Professor of Psychology, Chaminade University of Honolulu, Honolulu, HI
- Clinical Director & Evaluation Coordinator, E Ho`opili No Na Haumana Suicide Prevention Program, Honolulu, HI
- Practice Management Coordinator, Hale Kipa, Inc., Honolulu, HI
- Program Coordinator for Ho`okala Program (Adolescent Diversion Program), Therapeutic Group Home, and Youth Shelter, Hale Kipa, Inc., Honolulu, HI
- Intensive In-Home Therapist, Ho`ahana Institute, Honolulu, HI
- Intensive Case Manager, Ho`ahana Institute, Honolulu, HI
- American Counseling Association
- American School Counseling Association
- Hawaii School Counseling Association
- Assessment and treatment for anxiety, panic, stress, depression, anger, grief & bereavement, addictive behaviors, child & adolescent behavioral challenges, and family system challenges.
- Specialty training in suicide prevention.
- Current and past research focused on anxiety, suicide prevention, bullying, resiliency, issues pertaining to the LGBTQIA population, emotional intelligence, and academic achievement.
- Extensive experience effectively working with individuals and families of diverse ethnicities, socio-economic status, religion, and sexuality.
I primarily utilize a strength-based solution-focused approach that is driven by the collaborative partnership formed from our therapeutic relationship. My theoretical principles and practices are rooted in systems theory, Cognitive-Behavioral therapy, Cognitive Processing Theory, and Reality therapy.
I was born and raised in Honolulu on the island of Oahu. I attended Manoa Elementary and then Mid-Pacific Institute for intermediate and high school. I continued my education at the University of Hawai`i at Manoa where I studied Psychology. Upon graduation, I began my career in social services doing case management and working as a youth counselor in various shelters and group homes. In 1998, I graduated with my master’s degree in Counseling Psychology from Chaminade University of Honolulu. I became the Program Coordinator for a group shelter for adolescent boys. Through my experiences coordinating an adolescent diversion program and a therapeutic group home, I had the opportunity to work closely with the Department of Health, Department of Human Services, the Judiciary, and the Honolulu Police Department. In 2007, I became a counselor educator at Chaminade University. In my pastime, I enjoy spending quality time with my family and friends, coaching softball, hiking, traveling, and practicing yoga.
< Back to Providers